Jarret and Jessie met through their involvements with rugby in Edmonton, AB. They have been involved with Athletes in Action together 2005. Married in 2007 they have enjoyed many faith adventures with God through their involvements with AIA.
God actually likes sports? Huh? The concept seemed a little weird to me…
Sport and Spirituality have always been a part of my life. However, they were often on opposite ends of the spectrum. Sport was life and Spirituality was an afterthought. It wasn’t until after I finished High School that I learned that God wanted to have a personal relationship with me – a connection that wasn’t an incidental thing on the odd Sunday, but a connection that overflowed into all of my life.
God met me where I was at…on the field and on the mat through the ministry of Athletes in Action. Learning that I could compete in sports as an act of worship was life changing – no longer did I have to compete FOR the freedom I thought I could get in awards and accolades, but I could now compete FROM the freedom I have in Christ (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).
Now I serve God with my L.I.F.E. through the ministry of Athletes in Action. It’s become clear that this is my best position to help others come to know God more closely and experience life to the fullest.
A Few More Random Facts….
- Bachelor of Commerce
- 3-Time Academic All Canadian (student athlete with honors)
- 4-Time CIS Medallist at the Canadian University Wrestling Championships
- CIS/National Student Athlete Award in Academics, Athletics and Community Involvement
- My favourite sport isn’t wrestling, rugby, or football…it’s fishing!
Jessie – – – – – – – – – – – – –
I am very passionate about sport and faith. Sport has always been a major part of my life. Being involved with competitive figure skating until I was seventeen I experienced the many joys and disappointments that come with elite sport. It taught me about determination, dedication and perseverance among many others. These are one of my greatest benefits from sport as they transferred into many facets of my life.
My involvement with Athletes in Action (AIA) followed a similar pattern with my Christian faith. AIA reached me at the heart level through sports. Teaching relevant, practical ways of incorporating my faith and my sport. As a result these foundational truthes overflowed into the rest of my life – giving me a personal faith that was real, intimate and life-changing.
Since becoming involved with AIA in 2005, my perspective on sport has changed greatly. It is a privilege for me to use the athletic talents and passions God has gifted me with to volunteer in this sports ministry.
A Bit More About Me…
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology, Masters in Counselling in Counselling Psychology
- Pursuing my PhD at UBC in Counselling Psychology (focus in Sport Psychology)
- Team Canada University Rugby Team Captain (2008) – silver medalists
- Canada West All Star
- Academic All Canadian (student athlete with honors)
- When it comes to sports, my one true love is triathlon